Mission Beach Boardwalk!
On Tuesday, April 18, 2017, Heather Crane, AIA — IS Architecture and John Harris — Michael Baker International led a tour of the historic Mission Beach Boardwalk.
To find out more about this beautiful project, follow this link: http://isarchitecture.com/mission-beach-boardwalk-seawall-anmppost-reconstruction/d-la
Tour highlights included:
- History of Mission Beach Amusement Center and Boardwalk
- Reconstruction with today’s needs in mind – to provide a safe environment for all users
- Construction Techniques
- Maintain size of historic spacing between solid and void while meeting current code and design requirements (concrete mix, concrete cover, rebar size)
- Modern day construction techniques vs. 1925 construction techniques
- Lampposts – Historic Research and Reconstruction
- Challenges with concrete color matching and acid etch finish to achieve historically appropriate color and texture
- Implementing ADA and Universal Design into a Historic Reconstruction